Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Yogurt


Image credit

GAPS uses only homemade yogurt that has been fermented a full 24 hours.

Almost no one makes yogurt like that because it's very sour. However, that amount of time allows the live cultures to eat up all the lactose, which is very hard for some people to digest. There is a particular strain of probiotics called S. Thermophilis that is responsible for helping digest lactose (it actually produces lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose). Lactose intolerant people have had that strain wiped out by yeast overgrowth, antibiotics, or what-have-you.

My dehydrator arrived this afternoon (Thank you Staci!), and I already have a batch of 24 hour yogurt going in it. This is the next thing on my list to intro. Goat's milk has always muscle tested fine for me, but still seemed difficult to digest. I'm betting it was the lactose. It sure would be nice to have yogurt added for an easy snack!

I've been really wiped out this week. It's either more die off, or my adrenals. Probably a combo of the two. Considering seeing my naturopathic doctor to see what suggestions he has. Seems like I should be feeling better than I am - the rest of the family seems to be doing better every day! For that I'm very thankful!

2 comments:

  1. Yogurt in the dehydrator...do tell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that's why I bought an Excalibur dehydrator. It's the only kind where you can take trays out and use it to incubate the yogurt-just put jars inside, set the temp, and you're ready to go! :)

    ReplyDelete