Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Getting Answers

It's amazing sometimes how quickly answers come when you pray through questions...

I went back to egg yolk only this morning, and so far I'm feeling good. That just seems so weird, to be able to tolerate one part of the egg but not the other, but any movement forward is progress!

We got the answer to Hannah's huge appetite through this post yesterday. For now, I'm going to try to feed her as much as she asks for, with a cheerful heart. If it doesn't level off in the next week or two we will consider other problems/solutions. I was realizing freshly this morning how much we need to do this diet. Hannah was just excited to eat, and happily talking about what she was going to have, and I found myself cringing. There's nothing wrong with her enjoying food and being excited about what she gets to eat. That's the whole goal here. And yet we have gone so long with so many food issues that anything they enjoyed usually made them sick. It doesn't have to be like that anymore. I can feed my children healthy food that they get deep enjoyment from, and not worry about it. That is freedom!

Another thought, while I'm on a philosophical note: The less we think about food, the happier we are right now. We've been in survival mode for a long time around here. We've been very inward focused, by necessity. But we are sensing God calling us into a new season of reaching out around us. I'm starting a playgroup and rejoining the worship team after a three month break. At its root, food is just fuel for living. It can be enjoyable to eat, but ultimately living has so much more to do with relationships and serving God and other people. Food is a very small part of it. We use food for entertainment far too often. I have learned this lesson before, during other cleanses I've done, but our culture pulls us away from this truth rather quickly. There is something special about sharing food with other people though, and that is something that we have longed to be able to do. Doing this diet will hopefully enable us ultimately to eat dinner with friends again, without worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment