Monday, February 21, 2011

Day one complete!

Tough day for the kiddos. I spoon fed H & A twice, since they were unwilling to feed themselves the soup. Hannah got rather nauseous this afternoon, probably from low blood sugar, but she perked up some after I fed her a few bites of soup.

I was eating a little pecan butter made with coconut oil tonight and gave Tess a couple bites. She freaked out and started crying for more, so she seems to be craving carbs pretty badly. Nick fed her some pureed green beans and she calmed down some.

Audrey didn't say much most of the day, she was very subdued but not emotional, which is unusual for her. As long as I was willing to feed her, she was willing to eat. When Nick got home he commented on how calm all the kids were. Not sure if it is the diet, the lack of calories today, die-off, or a combination of the three.

I was surprised that I didn't crave sugar or carbs today. I had soaked some oats to make oatmeal, assuming that I would need them for energy, but they are still sitting on the counter. If I don't need them, I won't eat them. I've never done a day grain-free in my life, but it really wasn't hard. I'm guessing the all fat in the soup did that for me. I also ate a banana, the pecan butter, some beef sausage and a couple of raw carrots in addition to three bowls of soup. I didn't notice any decline in milk production and though I'm a little shaky and weak, it's not any harder than what I've been experiencing when I have an upset stomach. My stomach feels great tonight - no pain. I had diarrhea once today. None of the kids had a BM.

The kids were complaining about eating soup for dinner so I steamed some green beans until they were very soft and heated some chicken broth for them to drink. They were unimpressed and didn't really eat. I started to get frustrated and Nick pulled me aside and very sweetly and kindly reminded me to stay calm. He is so supportive about this, and it makes everything so much easier. Ultimately, they have to make the decision of whether or not they will eat. It's hard to deal with them not feeling good when it has nothing to do with the diet and everything to do with them being stubborn and unwilling to eat perfectly good, well-seasoned food. We put all three kids to bed early tonight and they were relieved to go to bed. And I was relieved for them to GO to bed. :)

We're about halfway through the pot of chicken soup, but I'm wanting something else so I'm sure the kids are too. Put a roast and some soup bone in the crock pot tonight and covered with water. I will add some veggies before I go to bed. So we'll have beef or chicken soup to choose from tomorrow. I'll need to start another batch of chicken stock in the morning. Since I'm not really cooking every meal, the amount of dishes we use has been much less than normal. That's kind of nice! I just run out of clean sauce pans to heat soup, bowls, and spoons. :)

3 comments:

  1. I really think you've got it when you say:
    "Ultimately, they have to make the decision of whether or not they will eat."

    Having dealt with eaters of all varieties in my home child care business, I have found that if you allow them choices, they'll make them. And if they get truly hungry, they will eat, and relish the food! The rule was that they did have to make a choice, but what they chose was up to them. Your deal is to make all the choices ones you approve of . Empower a child (with choices) and they feel a measure of control over changes.

    You're doing great! I am proud of your progress in just a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like what we're dealing with at the moment is their wills. There are so many different schools of thought about whether or not to make kids eat what they're served, and how to do that. I wonder if they can sense that I'm not 100% sure they will give in? If they don't start eating, I will have to change something but I'm not sure what. It feels like this is a matter of who holds out the longest.

    One thing I will try today, is blending up the soups so they don't have to chew them. It might help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, I blended the soup and they took it better like that, and from a mug not a bowl too, also I've tried a straw!! They like that...

    ReplyDelete