Friday, February 25, 2011

Resting

Feeling better today, no more fever or pounding headache, but I tried to get up this morning and almost fainted in the kitchen. Sooo...back to bed. Feels silly to lay here because I feel like I just have a cold, until I stand up.

Thankfully, Nick works for my parents, who very much want him to stay here and take care of me. :)

Small victory this morning-after reading and implementing the chapter in the gaps book about motivating picky eaters, the girls both drank a little broth with their breakfast, happily! Um, wow.

I am so excited about this diet. I got the book yesterday, and though I skimmed the recipe section and parts of the highly scientific explanation for why this works, I'm about 2/3 of the way through. I'm so grateful that we have made the health decisions we did for our kids over the years. We don't have vaccination issues or drug toxins or even many antibiotics. There are kids in this book who are soooo much more sick than ours are. And after already avoiding gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, salycilates, nightshades, and more for literally years, the potential of adding dairy, salycilates, eggs and nightshades back in (hopefully sooner than later) sounds absolutely amazing, not restrictive. And the book's practical, kind way of explaining and working with picky eaters is such a relief!

I was brought to tears last night as I read. I have been praying for answers for such a long time, and this is what we needed. You can handle just about anything, as long as you have hope.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for doing this. It seems so daunting and restrictive. I get so weary with just avoiding gluten and dairy (and soy and...), I feel like right now I just want the quick fix. Instead of doing it the hard (right?) way.

    I can't wait to see how this works for you. Maybe I'll get motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's just not time for you guys yet, Stace? For us, following this is better than what we have been doing. I was telling Nick the other night that if anyone were to ask me how we do this, I would say, you must not be sick enough to drive you to desparation. And I hope you never are. But that's the point we got to: willing to do ANYTHING that might help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And even tho gaps seems so hard at the start, it's a healing diet, not a restrictive diet, your body starts to crave those healing nutritious foods and eventually you are healed and can eat like a normal person again!! That's the biggest difference for me with gaps. You either go on a gluten-free, dairy-free etc etc-free diet for ever or go on gaps for a while and be free of food allergies! It's more like freedom!

    ReplyDelete