Monday, February 28, 2011

One week

We've more or less been on the diet for a week now. The older girls are doing really well adjusting to the changes, though occasionally they ask for something off the diet and get really sad when we tell them no. I try to offer them something else they CAN have. They have been drinking broth or eating soup at every meal the past two days, when promised a "pancake" (made from almond butter, squash, and ground flax fried in coconut oil). I don't know why in the world these motivate them, but they do!

I suspect I overdid it with the "pancakes" because my stomach has been off today. Tess's has too, and I'm not sure why. Could be for the same reason, or maybe too much probiotic for her? Or die off from me? We have been blending most her food the past 24 hours and it seems to have helped, but she has a very sore diaper rash and is not herself. All four molars are now through (thankfully).

Also, my milk supply has come back up. My current goal is to get Tess down to four nursings a day. I keep hoping for her to have a breakthrough about drinking from a cup - she just won't do it. This kid is so easy-going about everything, but when she makes up her mind about something, there is no changing it till she's good and ready.

I'm making poached salmon for dinner. It may sound weird, but I really believe that God will inspire you with help to do these kinds of things for your family, if you ask Him to. I had some salmon in my freezer and pulled it out to defrost last night, on a whim. We've had nothing but beef and chicken all week, and I was ready for something else. As I was looking in the fridge today, wondering how I would cook the salmon, the words "poached salmon" just came to me. I've never had it, I've never made it, I didn't know you could cook salmon that way. But I googled it, and found a plethora of poached salmon recipes. Who knew? God did. :) I cooked fennel bulb and onion in broth until soft, added a few mushrooms, and then settled the salmon pieces down into the bubbling mixture and covered with salt, fresh dill and a few chopped fennel fronds. I'll let ya know how it comes out, but it sure smells good!

3 comments:

  1. The salmon turned out great! Everyone ate well, and Nick was very complementary of the flavors. :)

    I'm sure now that it's the pancake that bothered me. I wonder if it's the flax seed, because I had squash today and almond butter separately today, and didn't notice the yucky feeling I got when I took a bite of pancake just now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flax is really bad to eat, I don't have my book with me, but Elaine Hollingsworth has a book called, Take Control of Your Health and Escape the Sickness Industry, and she explains how flax and soy were originally supposed to be rotation crops to add things back into the soil between the food crops, they were never meant as food and are actually toxic to humans. Soy in Asian countries is eaten fermented for at least 7 years, and even then they eat it in very small condiment quantities and it still contains levels of anti-nutrients. Flax was never a food ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting... I've never heard that before! My first thought was that it was mentioned in the Bible, but I looked it up and it appears to have been used only as a fiber.

    From http://www.odu.edu/~lmusselm/plant/bible/flax.php:
    "Linen had several uses in Bible times. The most obvious was clothing. But other uses were for wicks (eg., Matthew 12:2) and as measuring lines. The man in Ezekiel 4 had a measuring line made out of linen (flax). Our English word line is from the Latin word for flax. Words such as linear, lineage, etc. also derive from the same root. One use of flax that is not mentioned in the Bible is eating the seeds. Flax seeds, barley, and wheat are among the oldest known foods. Linseed oil is expressed from the seeds of flax."

    Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete